Wednesday, 4 April
I have been feeling sick lately, so I asked mom to write yesterday's blog for me. She did a really great job (thanks mom :) We were spending the whole day in Rhodes and they docked before we even woke up. Dad had booked our excursion for Rhodes earlier in the week, but yesterday afternoon there was an announcement saying that bus drivers on the island were striking (makes us feel right at home!) and so the excursion was cancelled. To be honest, I think it was a bit of a God-send because we could have a slow start, eat breakfast and then explore Rhodes Old Town by ourselves.
After breakfast I had a shower while mom, dad and Ash went to walk around. During this time, the crew had an emergency fire drill and when mom, dad and Ash came to pick me up, the passage doors were shut. Mom said she got a bit stressed about not being able to get to me. Meanwhile, I was calmly reading my book (there had been a whole announcement about the drill, so I understood what was going on.)
Entrance to the walled city
Emergency drill
When that was finally over, we walked thought the old streets of Rhodes. It is a medieval town with walls all around. We even walked through what was once the moat surrounding the Palace of the Grand Master. We saw inside the palace (it was incredibly intact), walked through the rooms and up the Grand Staircase, admired the mosaic floors and looked at the amazing architecture.
Walking in the moat
Inside the palace
Mosaic floor
Then it was lunch time! We went to a tavern and ordered chips, pita, tatziki, salad, tiny shrimps and fish (for me because I really felt like something simple) It was very nice. We wandered up Street of the Knights and made our way to the shopping area. We bought some beautiful necklaces. I also bought a wooden hairpin with a shell on it and a small, wooden box. Back on the ship, we relaxed in our cabins. After dinner we went to bed.
House wine
Walking up Street of the Knights










Glad you are back again Nicole and I hope you feel better. The announcement about the drill must have come AFTER Mom, Dad and Ashlyn had left for their walk. Those walls look quite impressive. You can just picture horses, chariots trying to get in and parties going on in the palace. The Poison and Peril story could have happened here.....
ReplyDeleteLove the look of the castles and moat. Hope you are feeling better? Was it the boat that made you sick? Marielle says hi - she is reading over my shoulder as I am catching up on your blog - am a few days behind. Do they celebrate Easter there?
ReplyDeleteHi you guys.. Aunty Yvonne- I think I have a stomach bug- I am very sad :( but we are still having fun. Tell Marielle that I say hi back! They do celebrate Easter in Greece but it is a week later than our Easter. Thanks for commenting :)
ReplyDelete