Here's what we did yesterday:
Well, I woke up before everyone (as usual) so I decided to use that time to blog and read my book. After we had breakfast (fruit salad and fried egg on toast) I posted my blog. Then I read while mom and dad went to the shops to buy us stuff for a picnic. We had decided that it was the perfect day to go to Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens :)
When we arrived we went through some of their themed gardens, like the fragrance garden (smell all the plants) and the garden of extinction (endangered or threatened plants). These were really fun.
We were getting hungry by then, so we found a picnic spot (with a view!) Ahslyn took some great photos and went to explore. When she came back we ate lunch (sandwiches and other snacks from Woolies)
One of Ashlyn's awesome pictures (my favorite)
We went on a beautiful walk in the Kirstenbosch forests, called Skeleton Gorge (foreboding!) After a while, mom and I decided to turn back. We went down a different path and came to another of the themed gardens- called the Braille Trail. This was a a part of the forest that was specifically aimed at blind people. Me and mom did some of it with our eyes closed. There was a guide rope next to the path and the information boards were also written in Braille. The whole idea was that you use your other senses, like feeling the textures of the plants and listening to the sounds of the forest. There are points that tell you that you can reach out your hand to grab another guide rope that leads to a bench. They also remind you to call out before you sit down- in case there is already someone there! After that interesting experience, we walked around the garden.
All together on the walk
Braille Trail
Really interesting tree mom and I saw
Meanwhile, dad and Ash were doing the skeleton gorge walk up into the mountain (crazy people!) When I asked Ashlyn what they did she said: We walked and walked and walked! They saw some very nice views, though. After their walk they met up with us and we walked on a lane of camphor trees, planted by Cecil John Rhodes.
Camphor Lane
We drove home to get into our costumes and then went to Camps Bay for some more beach-time. We wanted an ice-cream and when we were walking towards the beach we saw an ice-cream shop! We got 2 scoops of any flavours we chose. I had Addictions (Vanilla with yummy stuff, like nuts and chocolate inside) and Very Yummy (Chocolate with chocolate biscuit pieces inside) Mmmmmm!
Camps Bay is on the Atlantic ocean and the water is very cold. Dad bet us R10 that we could not keep our feet in the water for 20 seconds. Me and Ash both tried and are now R10 richer!
Para-gliders coming through the cloud over Table Mountain
After some lovely beach-time, we wanted to get take-aways, so we drove around until we found a Pizza Perfect and Burger Perfect next-door to each other. Dad and Ash chose a burger, while me and mom had a Bacon pizza and a Miami pizza (ham, feta and avo).















Another great account of our day, Nics! What a great way to remember everything we did. I love it that you're blogging. I REALLY liked our walk together in Kirstenbosch. xxx
ReplyDeleteSo interesting to read about the Kirstenbosch gardens. But I thought you went up Table Mountain??? Wasn't that on Mom's facebook? Have I missed a day maybe?
ReplyDeleteSuch nice photo's and I am so glad you are having such a wonderful time.
Oh, Table Mountain will be tomorrow's blog???
ReplyDeleteAunty Yvonne- I always write about the previous day in the morning. But this was posted so late because yesterday we went to Table Mountain quite early- so I didn't get to write about Wednesday until Thursday evening. Do you get it? (I made it sound so complicated!)
ReplyDeleteNicole, 2412 Towers vertaald ben ik, OMA! I don't know how to change my name or put a photo in.
ReplyDeleteOh- sorry Oma- must have read the name too quickly!
ReplyDeleteO wow - these photos are my favourite of all I think. That braille trail sounds so fascinating - never thought of experiencing a forest the way blind folk would.
ReplyDelete